Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas cookies


So today, for the first time since my babies were...well...babies...some old home movies were pulled out of whatever cobweb infested cave that they have been hiding in. Ladies and gentlemen, if you really want to show off your ability to become a puddle of weeping sentiment, just go dig your own up. In the videos we watched today my girls were between the ages of 6 months and 4 years, whereas now they are six and nine. Now like I said, I have not watched these videos since they were filmed all those years ago, and it is so surreal to see them now. The moments we were watching felt like yesterday. I know that everyone says that, and if we are being honest we all roll our eyes when they do, but its so so true. Watching those videos made me feel so blessed to be able to have something as simple as a video camera, one thing so many cannot afford. If I could not have those memories on video Im not sure what I would do.

Well, I would probably just cry again, but still.

Speaking of memories, we have a Christmas tradition in our house, one that I witnessed on those videos today as well. Even when my girls could barley stand, we made cookies to leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve. In our house we definitely get into Santa. I know that many families do not, and that is a decision everyone has to make for themselves. My girls know that the real reason for Christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus. That does not mean we cannot celebrate a little childhood magic in the meantime. They look forward to creating these cookies every year, and Im sure Santa just loves those thickly iced, sugar sprinkled masterpieces they leave him :).








If you can't tell, miss Savannah has quite the personality.




And yes, the cookies have to be placed on the plate just the right way.

So today I am thankful for simple traditions and sweet times with my girls, and for the means we are blessed with to document those times. Do not just pull the camera out for the big events, like birthdays and Christmas. Think about the things you would love to have from your own childhood and document those times for your little ones. They will thank you for it one day. 



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. My challenge... getting the vhs videos my mom took since the 80's preserved. Talk about tears when it is 25 years ago.. bring on the tissues. And believe it or not my uncle transferred 8mm to dvd...from when I was a teenager.. talk about a treat.. hmmmm need to pull those out some .. sure grandkids would enjoy.. probably with belly laughs

    ReplyDelete