Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mother, Nana and Friend



So my mom turns 59 today, and I thought it only appropriate to write a few (or many) words about how incredible she is. Unfortunatley this is an extremely difficult thing for me to do. You see, trying to explain who my mother is, and what she means to our whole family, is kind of like trying to put a square into a circle. She is just one of those people who could never be replaced, nor replicated. In my lifetime, if managed to acquire half of the crowns that woman has, I would never be able to carry them all through the gates of Heaven. The best I can do is  narrow her down to the three words that best describe her, and trust me that is proving all but impossible.



1. Servant

My mother is the most active servant I know. Seriously she puts the "S" in selfless. If I need help she is there, whether its work or a night out. I have never heard my mom complain once about watching my kids, or put her own needs above that. With me and my husbands jobs, she has to do this much more than I would like. Does she ever complain though?? Nope, not once have I heard a complaint. I could never put into words how thankful I am for that.  If it were not for her I would never have made it into, nor through, nursing school with two children. She serves the Lord, and has been serving at our church since I was a little girl, mainly in food service. I have literally seen this woman throw together a meal for 500 plus people in two days with a smile on her face. I can't even wrap my mind around that.   




1. Sacrifice 

My mom never went to college, though she is one of the smartest people I know. She never had a blazing career making millions of dollars, nor will she retire with an enormous life savings to sail around the world on a cruise ship. She has sacrificed everything for her family. When I was a baby, she stayed at home with us until we made it to school. She then worked at our school and church until we graduated high school. She was always there for me and my sister, even at the summer camp we went to year after year. Her and my father sacrificed everything to send us to a Christian school. Some have said that it is only because she cannot let go, and thats why she has always been around. They are so wrong. Anyone who truly knows my mom knows how wrong that is. Her life is her family, and her friends, and her church. None of this for fame or acknowledgment. She simply wants to give her life to others. Its truly takes my breath at times, when I see how she fills the void in so many others' lives, and never thinks of her own.




3. Hard worker

One of my mothers favorite sayings is "Ill sleep when Im dead." My word is this ever true. She works harder than anyone I know. Sometimes it drives us all a little crazy, because if it were up to us she would be sitting somewhere with her feet propped up reading a book. Yes...I have threatened to knock her out with a tranquilizer more than once. The fact is though, my mother is miserable sitting still. She loves her job, and loves her family and friends. My girls are her world and I could never repay her for everything she does for them, and for me. She has taught me everything about hard work, and I can only pray that I can portray that amazing work ethic to my children as well as she has to me. 

Needless to say my mother is an amazing woman. I am so thankful for her, and for the love that she has given my children. I will never be able to repay her for all that she has done, but at the same time she wouldn't let me if I tried. So happy birthday mom, and thank you for everything you do. I wish I could buy you diamonds, or send you on a cruise, but there is no doubt you would just regift them somehow :). While writing this post Savannah called you "Awesome" and Madelyn dubbed you "The Fairy Godmother" haha I guess I couldn't have put it better myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment